Traveling in a small luxury coach, we will visit three counties for three days and nights each. For these nine glorious days and nights, you’ll experience the best music and scenery, walking through the velvety green of Ireland’s rich land, culture, and history.
By day we visit ancient sites, stone circles, ring forts, fishing villages, beaches, heritage centers, and more. I’ll certainly have a guitar for an occasional song along the way We return to our hotel each afternoon, freshen up, have dinner, and by night we share music with Irish songwriters, poets, and musicians at traditional “sessions” with fiddlers, penny whistlers, guitarists, box accordionists, tenor banjo players – all playing jigs, reels, and songs. At night we rest in small, quality hotels, with our heads still reeling from the day’s excitement.
We will wind through counties Cork, Waterford, and Clare. Our tours are small enough that they feel more like a group of friends traveling together in Ireland. Here are some highlights you’ll enjoy:
- Tradition and culture,
- History and greater understanding shared by locals,
- Music and camaraderie,
- Breath-taking scenery!
- Private music concerts from local musicians,
- A private concert by Glen, Sloan, and Sue.
This is a nine-day tour of Counties Cork, Waterford, and Clare (subject to adjustment—best locations are chosen based on weather) in the southern part of Ireland. These counties are known for their significant musical traditions, breathtaking scenery, and great historical importance in Ireland.
The tour is guided by a charming local expert and a skillful driver (Inishfree Tours, Inc.), and is musically co-hosted by yours truly (Glen Roethel), Sloan Wainwright, and Sue Riley. (Honestly, I don’t know who to credit for the most fun…maybe you?!)
LOGISTICS AS WE APPROACH DEPARTURE DATE:
We highly recommend that you arrive at least one day early to help alleviate your jet lag and to minimize stress caused by the risk of flight delays. Aer Lingus is a wonderful airline, by the way (just sayin’). If nothing has changed, wait ’til you taste the food! Guests usually stay in one of the B&Bs that we recommend in the village of Bunratty; we can help you with those arrangements. You’ll enjoy meeting your travel mates at the B&B as we prepare for our next-day departure.
Your flight departure from Ireland at the end of your tour should be scheduled no earlier than 9 a.m.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: There is a minimum of 16 guests for the tour. Please do not book your flight until you have been notified that the tour has met that minimum.
This tour is appropriate for people who have a fair to moderate degree of fitness since we do walk on uneven ground at some of the sites. That said, most of the activities are easily accessible to all guests. Opportunities for more strenuous activities can be taken during “free” time which is built into the tour. Please inquire for additional information.
COST (may be updated for 2024):
In 2019 the tour fee was $2,500 (US Dollars) per person based on two people sharing a room. Airfare is not included. The cost of a single room is $3,000, which includes $2,500 plus a single supplement of $500. The number of single rooms is very limited but don’t worry, we can help match you with another guest if needed. Please notify us if you need a roommate.
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
The cost of the tour includes:
- ground transportation beginning the day of the tour with pick-up either from one of the selected B&Bs in Bunratty or from Shannon Airport,
- all breakfasts and three group dinners,
- nine nights of accommodation in quality hotels and the occasional B&B (all with en-suite rooms),
- entrance fees to include sights, heritage centers, island ferries,
- live scheduled music cover charges,
- ground transportation from the final hotel back to Shannon Airport (as long as the flight departure is no earlier than 9 a.m.).
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED:
The tour cost does not include:
- flights to and from Ireland (guests fly in and out of Shannon International Airport),
- B&B stays prior to the start of the tour,
- Other pre- or post-tour costs such as transportation, meals or accommodation,
- all lunches during the tour,
- six dinners during the tour,
- optional activities,
- drinks, tips, souvenirs, etc.
Your comfort and safety are paramount to Inishfree Tours, Inc. Guests travel in a small (30 seat) luxury coach. There are no restroom facilities on board but frequent stops are made for guest comfort. The bus has large windows and height—perfect for good viewing—small enough to safely travel the small back roads for which Ireland is famous and big enough for comfort and safety on the major highways. Your driver is a professional and your safety is his foremost concern.